Saturday, February 25, 2006

Table 310.16 Wire Size, OCPD, and voltage drop Calculator is now online

At last the calculator is online at http://www.electrician.com and http://www.electrician2.com. It is only 35k in length and the source code is organized and maintainable (the online version has been thoroughly obfuscated.) The Excel Table 310.16 program was a maze that I couldn't decipher myself. Also it would not do aluminum and had a few bugs where it oversized the wire. I think this new JavaScript online program is a dandy, but we shall see. If any of you find bugs please let me know.

I have begun flow charting the program for a continuing education course and preparing a few NEC change proposals related to some discoveries. You are suppose to flow chart first, but I always do it backwards. How do you know what the program is supposed to do unless you write it? I tried four different programs before I found the correct solution. The first one was a monster and went to 2000 lines before I decided to scrap it entirely, but not after spending a week trying to get the bugs out. Of course I am not a professional programmer or I would probably be better at this. If programming is like everything else it takes five years to reach journeyman level. I only have about two years worth, I suppose. Anyway, it has been fun, and of course I owe the people that buy my continuing education courses gratitude, or else I would be out on some job probably living in a camp working 7-10's and only eating, sleeping, and doing electrical construction work. That is about all you do when on one of those remote camp jobs like I have worked so many times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home