Friday, January 06, 2006

Bye, bye Netscape

For years I have tried to keep web pages compatible with the Netscape Browser. This was an immense task requiring many hours of work and requiring that the advanced features of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer be forsaken for the sake of compatibility. In the 90’s Netscape was the leading browser, but then Microsoft came along with Internet Explorer and now 98 per cent of the visitors to electrician.com use Microsoft’s Internet Explorer version 5 or above. I have tried Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera and they all have compatibility problems. I no longer am going to even try to stay compatible! My pages are designed to work in IE 5.0 or better and that is all there is to it. Additionally, my multimedia pages at alaskavirtualtour.com are being designed for speeds of 150k or higher and for screen sizes of 1024 by 768 or 1280 by 1024 at 32 bits. 60 per cent of the visitors have these resolutions.

During the last several weeks I have become totally committed to developing the code for the multimedia site alaskavirtualtour.com. About 70 per cent of the code took me about 300 hours to write, and much of the work was done in all night sessions. I borrowed, begged and stole the other 30 per cent. Now I suppose any number of web page designers will borrow all that I have done. There is no way to hide the JavaScript code that I know of. You can jumble it, or make it difficult to find, but it is always there somewhere, and a persistent designer with enough savy can always find it. For you new comers just right click in any page and select source and you can see the source code for that page. Don’t ever under estimate the value of the right mouse click!

My multimedia talents have been honed some more for what comes later – developing multimedia training courses for the Internet. In 1996 I purchased a Sony VX 1000 for $3500 with the intent of making digital training videos. This camera was about 8 years ahead of computers, memory, hard drives, connection speed, and software. I made movies alright, but I had to buy a $1800 Seagate 9.5 gigabyte hard drive and a $1000 capture card that only connected using the VHS cables while the Sony’s digital firewire was not useable. It took 5 hours to render a 5 minute film! And the hard drive had to be partitioned into 2 Gigabyte partitions because Windows 95 could not access more than that. Today all that has changed. Multimedia is here and the Internet, computers, and software are ready!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home